jekyll, as much as i love it and use it, is not good for haml. Since
haml allows execution of arbitrary code, it will never be included in
the core, and thus you can't really build layouts and templates with
it.

Instead, I use middleman to get the most web-app-like-but-static-site
experience with haml, sass/compass, coffeescript and so on.