I'm building a lot of ruby servers - I just want to understand if there
are any negative implications of configuring with the "--enable-shared"
option?

The "--enable-shared" option will "build a shared library for Ruby" and
understand there are some apps/gems that require option to be set to
give them access to native stuff via ruby.

Essentially I can not find any negative impact to using it, but then I
don't quite follow why it isn't enabled by default..?

For instance could there be some implications if I build with
"--enable-shared" and then update packages on the server (or even
rebuild a new version) at a later date - could this cause orphan issues
or anything?

Thanks in advance for the help!