Robert Klemme wrote in post #1133642:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Alarm Bells <lists / ruby-forum.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> i. it's the foundation of many other languages; if you understand C,
>> it's pretty simply picking up most anything else like Jave, Obective-C,
>> C++, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.
>
> That's like suggesting to learn physics if your intention is to
> understand chemistry because physics is the basis. But that is not
> needed when being introduced to chemistry. The abstractions provided
> by chemistry work pretty well by themselves.

No, it's not Robert. It's analogous to someone saying "I want to learn
science, but I don't know where to start" and answering, "start with
physics then, because everything else comes from that."

C is still a widely used programming in itself, and I still find it
necessary at times when doing something like app development in certain
IDEs (if you need to dig down beyond what the frameworks offer you).

The K&R book covers ANSI C.