Joshua P. wrote in post #1128901:

> However after chatting to my Dad who was a programmer during the 80's
> and 90's he seemed to think I was jumping in at the deep end with Ruby
> due to the fact that there is a lot going on "under-the-hood" of some
> processes that I won't understand, straight off the bat.

I tend to agree with your Dad. I'm a firm believer that if you're
looking for a programming language to learn as your first (not always a
choice, many get something foisted on them in school/college/work), the
ideal language is C. This is a great first language because

i. it's the foundation of many other languages; if you understand C,
it's pretty simply picking up most anything else like Jave, Obective-C,
C++, Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.

ii. It's been around for ages, which means there's loads of
internet-based material to help you with problems as you learn

iii. It's a relatively compact language which you can learn fairly
quickly.

If you can find a copy, start with Kernighan & Richie's classic 'The C
Programming Language'. It's a simple, neat introduction to the language
in a couple of hundred pages (instead of the 500 page tomes by various
publishers) written by one of the languages founders.