> It means Ruby is a really hot, shiny, language that can be used for
> all kinds of things and especially overcoming objections.  :-)
> Seriously, those things are CS-ish language-geek terms that a "total
> newbie in the coding world" will need some study-time to grok, and you
> don't need to worry about them for now.  Maybe when you learn some
> other languages, you'll see how they're different, and at that time,
> we can match up these labels with how the languages differ.
>
> Meanwhile, a brief definition of Ruby is "a great computer language,
> in which the Ruby on Rails web-application framework is written."  (I
> get the impression your main query was basically "what's the
> difference between 'Ruby' and 'Ruby on Rails'?")
>
> -Dave

Thanks Dave.  I'm aware that Ruby is a language and rails is the
framework, I can do some basic coding, I'm not bad in html, php and very
good in CSS but because I'm self-taught I lack the broad overview that
you coding ninjas and masters have. Thus, it's difficult to simplify the
'hotness' of Ruby and understand its attractiveness.

For example, I'm a neuroscientist and could tell you that the brain is
an organ comprised of neuronal and glial cells that use action
potentials to transmit signals. Or it can be simplified to the fact that
the brain is the organ that controls our body and how it interprets and
responds to internal and external stimuli. Or, the short and sweet
version "the brain is our body's CPU".

 For example, why choose Ruby instead of Python or Perl? Why is Ruby so
hot? And not python? or any other language? I've chosen to learn ruby
(on rails) because I was told you can build web apps fast.