> The problems you're seeing suggest to me that something's broken with
> your Ruby installation.

This turned out to be true, though not at all obvious until now.

>
> For some reason, the compiler is seeing the declarations of acosh(),
> asinh(), atanh() and hypot() in Ruby's "missing.h" header file. and
> (correctly) reporting that they're inconsistent with the declarations
> for those functions from the standard "math.h" include file. But when
> you configured and built Ruby 1.7 from the source code, it *should* have
> generated a "config.h" include file that defines the symbols HAVE_ACOSH
> and HAVE_HYPOT. The presence of those preprocessor symbols would in turn
> direct the compiler to skip over the offending declarations of asinh()
> and friends in Ruby's "missing.h".
>
> OK.
>
> What I would try in this situation is to reconfigure and rebuild Ruby
> 1.7. That means changing to the source directory and doing:
>
> 	make distclean
> 	./autoconf
> 	./configure
> 	make
> 	make install

Apparently, if I recall ,since the CVS source does not come with a
configure script (nor an autoconf), I simply copied the configure script
from the 1.6 source.  That's probably not a good practice.

I'm thinking now that, when there's a file called README, it's probably a
good idea to, like, read it.
(I just took a look, and sure enough it says that if there is no configure,
run autoconf to generate one.)

I tried to run the autoconf on my system, but got an error about its
version being too low.  I installed autoconf from source (obtained from the
GNU site) and rebuilt ruby. Very good.

>
> The first three steps are particularly important. You might want to
> check the contents of the config.h include file after running
> "configure" to confirm that HAVE_ACOSH and HAVE_HYPOT are indeed
> defined; they should be on a Linux system.

They did, after the rebuild.

>
> After updating the code like this, FXRuby should build cleanly against
> Ruby 1.7; I'm doing this on a fairly regular basis against the latest
> CVS sources for Ruby. But if you're still stuck after updating your
> Ruby, let me know and I can conjure up an RPM.


FXRuby built fine.  I then had to adjust the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH so
that fox.so could find libFOX-1.0.so.0

>
> Hope this helps,


It helped immensely.  Thank you very much.


James

>
> Lyle
>
>