On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Jabari Z. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I have an algorithm which uses an array of boolean (True/False) data.
> I would like to conserve and extend memory use by having the array
> use less memory.
>
> Is it possible in Ruby (2.1.0 >) to effectively create byte arrays
> so that each index (array[n]) is a byte boolean?
>
> Or, is there a gem that provides this feature?

If you search "boolean" on Ruby-Toolbox.com, it shows several hits
that will store booleans into *bits* in an ActiveRecord model.  A
quick glance over the first several screenfuls didn't show one to do
it generically (i.e., w/o AR, or at least not depending on a
database).  So, if you want something generic, it sounds like a decent
project for you to build a gem to do.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC (codosaur.us),
freelance software developer, and creator of these sites: