Stu wrote in post #1131492:
> Actually cruby: MRI/Yarv benches faster

Of course it does.  In some cases.  On short-lived, artificial
benchmarks.  Except for those cases where JRuby does.  Or the (many)
times that RBX beats them both.  Did you actually look at the results of
the tables, or read through the comments at the bottom of the linked
article?

Allow me the gratuity of expanding my earlier statement, for those who
can't read between lines:

... and its biggest selling points are its speed (much faster than MRI
in various real-world applications, especially long-lived rails
applications)...

> Having the JVM as a dependency may be a convenience for those stuck in
> the (java-lang?) eco-system but at the end of the day it isn't really
> "anywhere" anymore than where it is installed, which is not on my
> servers,

Hence the quotes around "anywhere;" I was riffing on the "write once,
run everywhere" slogan.

> which makes it a niche as much as anything else.

As much as *everything* else.  Nothing runs *everywhere*.  That's just
being silly.

Oh man, you mean I have to install a UNIX- or Windows-like operating
system to run your stupid programming language?  Well screw you, I'll
stick with punch cards!

And dependencies are dependencies, whether they're as "heavy" as the JVM
or "light" as a single dynamically-linked .so; if you don't want to
install the JVM, don't run JRuby; if you don't want to install
foobar.so, don't run fooruby.  A notable differentiator in this case is
that odds are there's already a working JVM that *could* be installed in
*most* places.