I have been learning ruby for the last couple of days and have found it
great so far, I come from a Java background so many concepts and even
some of the syntax sticks. What's troubling me is that there are no
highly active Ruby forums or community that I can join as this is
something that really helped me learn Java as a beginner, also since I'm
new to the language I am unsure of what kind of projects I can get into
to help me progress.

The following project list is what I am using as a project guide to aide
me in my Java:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/

And I use many Java forums to aide me along the way.

Is there some sort of alternative in Ruby?

Can anyone please advise me as I feel really frustrated.