On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:03 PM, JD JD <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> In the long run, I want to design webpages/web apps/etc.. In the short
> term, I wanted to get some practice with ruby before moving onto RoRails
> for website stuff.
>
> However, I'm just scared I'm going down the wrong path.  I need to learn
> a language and pick one that is right for my goals.

You're going down a perfectly fine path... but don't take just one.
It's more like an open field, or a network of city streets, than a
forest with paths through it.  Learn raw Ruby, then some frameworks
like Rails (including add-ons like ERb/HAML, SASS/LESS, CoffeeScript,
etc.) and maybe Sinatra and Padrino and so on, sure... but also learn
Python, its popular libraries and frameworks, JavaScript (hard to
avoid if you're doing web stuff anyway), its popular etc., maybe even
some very different things Scala, Clojure, Erlang, Haskell, whatever.
Also dive deep into the machine and learn C, maybe even assembly, so
you have a better understanding of what's going on under the hood.
(In the case of Ruby, especially learn C, as that may help you grok
what MRI is doing under its hood.)  Learn enough of them that you can
*pull back* from the down-in-the-weeds view of a given language, and
get familiar with the linguistic patterns and meta-concepts.  This may
sound like touchy-feely woo-woo to you now, but trust me, it will help
you immensely....

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson, the T. Rex of Codosaurus LLC (codosaur.us),
freelance software developer, and creator of these sites: