On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, JD JD wrote:

> I went with ruby because many people recommended it.  Many people said
> it would be a good one to start with (I was using Java when I was in
> college the second time).
>
> I began learning it on my own.  I am actually about to finish a course I
> paid for to learn ruby.  After I finished it, I planned on building some
> different things.
>
> For example, I wanted to build some bots that did things for me.  For
> example, reddit is a big website.  I wanted to do two things on it.
> One, I wanted to create something that could search a particular
> username that I entered and return something I was lookinng for.  For
> example, maybe pictures they posted in a certain subreddit (say
> /r/funny).  Or return statistics on a user, say how much they post in a
> certain subreddit (percentage).

I've built web spiders in the past, but that was a decade ago.  These days
I would recommend looking at WATIR and using that library to drive a web
browser.  I used that last summer with good results.

> Also, I was looking to build maybe bots that posted for me.  Say, you
> build one that posts statistics if a certain thing occurs or does a
> certain activity.

Same tool.

> When I asked about this, everyone said to use python.  So, now I'm just
> frusterated.
>
> In the long run, I want to design webpages/web apps/etc.. In the short
> term, I wanted to get some practice with ruby before moving onto RoRails
> for website stuff.

There are lots of other Ruby tools besides Rails.

> However, I'm just scared I'm going down the wrong path.  I need to learn
> a language and pick one that is right for my goals.
>
> I just would love some real advice.  I really want to pick a language
> that has to most resources for learning.  I'm scared ruby was once
> popular and now the resources aren't there anymore.  I just don't know.

Ruby is still very popular.  Python picked up some libraries for
mathematics and scientific programming early on and has got a strong user
base in those kind of communities.  Python is also a good language, but
requires a bit of a different mindset.

-- Matt
It's not what I know that counts.