So, to start, I basically returned to college for a second degree
(graduated recently), to try to get a CS degree.  I had to stop though
due to money issues.

I now have a full time job not related to programming.  However, I
really enjoy programming and overall want to start building and making
stuff.

I went with ruby because many people recommended it.  Many people said
it would be a good one to start with (I was using Java when I was in
college the second time).

I began learning it on my own.  I am actually about to finish a course I
paid for to learn ruby.  After I finished it, I planned on building some
different things.

For example, I wanted to build some bots that did things for me.  For
example, reddit is a big website.  I wanted to do two things on it.
One, I wanted to create something that could search a particular
username that I entered and return something I was lookinng for.  For
example, maybe pictures they posted in a certain subreddit (say
/r/funny).  Or return statistics on a user, say how much they post in a
certain subreddit (percentage).

Also, I was looking to build maybe bots that posted for me.  Say, you
build one that posts statistics if a certain thing occurs or does a
certain activity.

When I asked about this, everyone said to use python.  So, now I'm just
frusterated.

In the long run, I want to design webpages/web apps/etc.. In the short
term, I wanted to get some practice with ruby before moving onto RoRails
for website stuff.

However, I'm just scared I'm going down the wrong path.  I need to learn
a language and pick one that is right for my goals.

I just would love some real advice.  I really want to pick a language
that has to most resources for learning.  I'm scared ruby was once
popular and now the resources aren't there anymore.  I just don't know.

Thanks for any help or advice :/.