On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Joel Pearson <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Ruby is easy to learn, is fun to write, and has a great support forum ;)
>
> I do recommend learning it even if you only end up using it for
> scripting, just for the sheer joy of working with it!

Absolutely agree!

> What you really need to learn is the process of breaking every
> problem into small steps, as this is fundamentally how computers work,
> and is a critical problem-solving skill.

I agree, although I would have put it differently: it is utterly
important to learn and understand the process of breaking down
problems into smaller problems (and these into even smaller problems -
it's a recursive process!). But it's not so much because this is how
computers work (basically you could write a program in assembler with
lots of gotos and no function calls) - the more important aspect for
me is that it's the only way our human mind can handle the complexity!
In order to be able to write and maintain a program the human doing it
must be able to understand the program. The computer will do anyways
but only the human can decide whether the behavior of the machine is
as intended or not.  We do write programs primarily for our fellow
humans - not for the machine.  That way of looking at it may sound
weird at first because the primary purpose of a program seems to be to
make the machine do something.  But that is fairly easy.  The hard
part is making it understandable what the machine does to humans.  You
can recognize the difference when looking at a program that just does
something and a program whose program text actually explains it (by
using proper abstractions, class, function, method and variable
names).

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/