The question to ask is do you want to know how computers work, or how to
make them do things.

Ruby is great for the latter.  It makes it very easy to tell the computer
what you want it to do, by hiding a lot of stuff 'under the hood'.  It's a
good language to learn because it lets you make the computer do interesting
things quickly.

I would say that if you are serious about programming, you should
eventually learn c, or something similar. Low level languages teach a lot
about you what the computer is actually doing, which comes in extremely
handy when debugging or optimizing, or even figuring out how to do
something in a new language.  Once you know c, learning additional new
languages is much simpler, since you can break  any high level function
down into its basic components.
-Adam