On 28 Ϧ 2013, at 18:54 , Matt Lawrence <matt / technoronin.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, Joshua P. wrote:
>
>> I'm a complete beginner to coding and I was wondering if there are
>> 'better' languages to start on if you are trying to learn a language for
>> the first time?
>>
>> I chose Ruby due to it's seemingly "simple" code, and by that I mean
>> that it seemed more intuitive, less cluttered with code and overall more
>> "straight forward looking". I'm using Chris Pines eBook 'Learn to
>> program'
>>
>> However after chatting to my Dad who was a programmer during the 80's
>> and 90's he seemed to think I was jumping in at the deep end with Ruby
>> due to the fact that there is a lot going on "under-the-hood" of some
>> processes that I won't understand, straight off the bat. He thought
>> "lower level languages would be easier to understand because you are
>> closer to the machine and using smaller pieces of code so you can see
>> everything that's going on.
>
> I suppose he wants you to start with Mix...

Then jump to x86 asm, then C, then maybe Java, before jumping to ruby. Knuth would be proud.

As a starting point, a (not very but quite) short introduction to computer programming instead of Chris Pine's book could be "The Art of Computer Programming"[1]. It's a little bit expensive but it's one hell of introduction.

ps. When was the last your father wrote any actual program? Because he got it all wrong.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Programming-Volumes-1-4A-Boxed/dp/0321751043

> -- Matt
> It's not what I know that counts.
> It's what I can remember in time to use.

Panagiotis (atmosx) Atmatzidis

email:	atma / convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG ID: 0x1A7BFEC5
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 1A7BFEC5
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."