I'm a complete beginner to coding and I was wondering if there are
'better' languages to start on if you are trying to learn a language for
the first time?

I chose Ruby due to it's seemingly "simple" code, and by that I mean
that it seemed more intuitive, less cluttered with code and overall more
"straight forward looking". I'm using Chris Pines eBook 'Learn to
program'

However after chatting to my Dad who was a programmer during the 80's
and 90's he seemed to think I was jumping in at the deep end with Ruby
due to the fact that there is a lot going on "under-the-hood" of some
processes that I won't understand, straight off the bat. He thought
"lower level languages would be easier to understand because you are
closer to the machine and using smaller pieces of code so you can see
everything that's going on.

Anyone have thoughts on the difficulty level starting with Ruby as a
first language to learn, compared to others?

Also any tips on general strategies for learning code would be greatly
appreciated :)

Many thanks

Josh