On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM, gvim <gvimrc / gmail.com> wrote:

 ... will mutate x but I now understand, from what others have explained,
> that it doesn't. It's just counter-intuitive, that's all. This and the
> various rules about symbols as named arguments have led me to the
> conclusion that Ruby is an unnecessarily complicated language. Perl is much
> simpler.

The conclusion you need to reach is that you do not understand pass by
value. You need to understand pass by value, is what the vast majority of
programming languages implement. Perl is the outlier here (not implying it
is worse, I love Perl, just to put things in perspective).