Carlos,

1. I started with Ruby 1.87. With the combination of Ruby and PostScript I =
started three months ago.

2. You ask for suggestion. I give a short sketch of my daily problems (typi=
cal for somebody doing research in the humanities).

a. For many languages we have no good grammar nor a good lexicon. We help o=
urselves with textual corpora which are given by good souls, e.g. Thesaurus=
 Musicarum Latinarum (Latin texts concerning music, written between the thi=
rd and the secenteenth century in Latin, more than 900 files); or: the work=
s of Thomas Aquinas (some hundred files). These texts are offered in the in=
ternet. It=92s a good practice to write a script to download them. When we =
look for words (e.g. with grep in Unix) we have the basis for our private l=
exicon.

b. My data are stored in a file (14532 lines: seven lines =3D one set =3D 2=
076 * 7, meaning 2076 chants). I read in the sets in a class X and store th=
e result with marshal.

c. In a class X I have a line called =84notes=93 and a line called =84sylla=
bles=93. I give a shortened example:

notes: [O-] a g c' d' c' h ss [ri-] c' d' ss [e-] d' or e' f' d' ss [tur] d=
' ss [in] d' ss [di-] d' ss [e-] d' ss [bus] =85

syllables: O- ri- e- tur in di- e- bus =85

Task:

- Prepare a hash-table with items called =84musical notes=93 (c d e f g =85=
)

- read the lines and split them.

- Iterate over notes.

- if the first character of an item is =84[=84 then it indicates a syllable=
. Take it from syllable and display it =85

- if an item is in the hash-table then it=92s a (musical) note. Display it =
=85

It=92s a bit more complicated if I should display say 50 chants and coordin=
ate the graphics in such a way that certain passages appear at the same pos=
ition of the x-axis. Etc.

Your question: I think that all basic tutorials answer my first questions. =
I rewrite my code every two or three months helped by ruby-doc.org. The mor=
e I work in my field and try to find formalization the more I understand my=
 musicological ideas. To rewrite the code is then the test for my understan=
ding.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

As you can see there are many solutions offered for tasks of this kind. My =
starting point was Ruby Cookbook.

cheers

Max