I worked in humanities (musicology) at a Swiss university (I=92m now
retired). I do investigations in old chant repertories. Question: how to
find out symptoms for oral tradition (use of the same segments, of
formulas; use of similar segments etc.) The problem was always to find a
programming language with great graphic capabilities.  I first did this
around 1990-ca.2000 in Lisp (on a Mac), then (Lisp was finally too
expensive for my budget) in Java, then (for the iPad) in Objective-C.
Besides this I always used script languages (Perl, Python) for certain
tasks. Finally I understood that this is (for my problem solving) the wrong
approach. It=92s possible to take Ruby as a main language, to write a littl=
PostScript interpreter and to transform the =84results=93 in PostScript cod=
e to
represent the results in good graphical form. Now I=92m completely
comfortable and use only Ruby.

Max,

That's very cool. For how long did you use Ruby for this (these) task(s)?
And do you have any suggestions in mind, so we could bring more people to
use Ruby for these tasks?

At the moment, you guys should take a look at SciRuby and NMatrix. There
was lots of effort spent on them in the last months due to Google Summer of
Code:

http://sciruby.com/

https://github.com/sciruby/nmatrix

Ciao,