Felix,

I don=92t know if it can be known how many use Ruby for research in science=
/in humanities. We are not professional programmers but need to have progra=
mming skills to do our job at universities but not more.

Perhaps this is kind of a feedback:

I worked in humanities (musicology) at a Swiss university (I=92m now retire=
d). I do investigations in old chant repertories. Question: how to find out=
 symptoms for oral tradition (use of the same segments, of formulas; use of=
 similar segments etc.) The problem was always to find a programming langua=
ge with great graphic capabilities.  I first did this around 1990-ca.2000 i=
n Lisp (on a Mac), then (Lisp was finally too expensive for my budget) in J=
ava, then (for the iPad) in Objective-C. Besides this I always used script =
languages (Perl, Python) for certain tasks. Finally I understood that this =
is (for my problem solving) the wrong approach. It=92s possible to take Rub=
y as a main language, to write a little PostScript interpreter and to trans=
form the =84results=93 in PostScript code to represent the results in good =
graphical form. Now I=92m completely comfortable and use only Ruby.

Perhaps I may add this: I have no time to do studies in computer science/in=
formatics. That=92s why it=92s important to find a language with a good doc=
umentation and with good programming examples to follow the steps of others=
. Ruby offers for this a very good path.

cheers,

Max

[Prof.Dr. Max Haas, Institute for musicology, University of Basel, Switzerl=
and]