"Some may say Ruby is a bad rip-off of Lisp or Smalltalk, and I admit that.
But it is nicer to ordinary people."
- Matz, LL2

Ruby is a language designed in the following steps:

  * take a simple lisp language (like one prior to CL).
  * remove macros, s-expression.
  * add simple object system (much simpler than CLOS).
  * add blocks, inspired by higher order functions.
  * add methods found in Smalltalk.
  * add functionality found in Perl (in OO way).

So, Ruby was a Lisp originally, in theory.
Let's call it MatzLisp from now on. ;-)

- Matz

----

About that...