On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM, shaik s. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to find/get the complete path of a directory by
> specifying the
> directory name as which drive it is in? For example
>
> I've a directory on drive as D:\abc\efg\screenshots\
>
> I want to find the complete path of the directory screenshots, not sure
> on which drive it exists, may be C: or D: or E: but the parent folder
> starts with abc\efg\screenshots\
>
> Apreciate response
>
> Thx,
> #M

assuming working directory is /tmp .

File.expand_path "whatever" #  => "/tmp/whatever"
File.absolute_path "whatever" #  => "/tmp/whatever"

$ ln -s /tmp/whatever /tmp/1 # make a symlink

File.expand_path "1" #  => "/tmp/1"
File.absolute_path "1" #  => "/tmp/1"
File.realpath "1" => "/tmp/whatever"

I didn't try this on windows platform, If you don't want the drive, you
could try

'D:\hello\world'.gsub(/^\w+:\\/, '')

correct my if directory separator char for ruby on windows is '/' .

--
Silence is golden.

twitter: @AccelReality
wikipedia: AleiPhoenix