--Apple-Mail=_72C28302-8709-4CA7-BE9D-B03CB116A761

Hi,

On 6 =CE=9F=CE=BA=CF=84 2013, at 09:40 , John S. <lists / ruby-forum.com> =
wrote:

> Hello Community,
>=20
> I am currently in my Junior year college and will be looking for some
> internship here very soon. I've taken core classes on C#, ASP.Net, =
Java
> and have started to learn Ruby and a little bit of Python on my own. =
> make this short, I am a bit disappointed at the available =
opportunities
> of Ruby careers in my state. I live in Minnesota, US. I love the Ruby
> language and would rather much prefer to work on it than C#, which I
> also like. There are many C# or .Net jobs available where I live. I =
feel
> like I am at a crossroad in my technical route. I can either continue
> learning the .Net stack and or dive into Rails and hope more Ruby or
> Rails will garner more attention in companies. Is the Ruby language =
and
> or the Rails technology dying to more mainstream technologies? Or is =
it
> that companies have yet to adopt it and will soon do. I have a very
> strong opinion about my productivity in C# versus Ruby; it makes more
> sense for me to program in Ruby. WHY CAN"T COMPANIES SEE THIS!!! =
sorry,
> please let me know what you think are my options and suggestions, =
thanks
> for reading.
>=20
> John.
>=20
> --=20
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I'd like to share some thoughts, because you appear to be young and... =
Might take this 'programming' thing the wrong way.

If you are a professional programmer, you'll need to deal with more than =
one or two frameworks and languages. Don't get your vision narrowed by =
the language, imho, it will "hurt" you. Often to optimize something you =
might need to combine several languages (Ruby, Rails, JS, etc.)...

If you insist though, try at least to become a *star developer*, the =
kind of guy that writes open source libraries (gems) for Ruby (or any =
ruby framework), with deep understanding of the language and your =
framework of choice (rails?). In order do this you need to understand =
pros and cons and *the ruby way* which means that you need to have at =
least 1 other deep language understanding (to make comparisons) and =
understanding inner mechanisms (C is compulsory here).

Most of the guys that write the books I read about (pure) ruby (low to =
avg level here), know and can think in more than 2 programming =
languages.

Good luck with everything,

Panagiotis (atmosx) Atmatzidis

email:	atma / convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG ID: 0x1A7BFEC5
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 1A7BFEC5
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to =
their level and beat you with experience."