On 25/09/2013 15:58, Wayne Brisette wrote:

> I think that needs to be asked another way, which is are there things Ruby can do that Perl can't. I never took to Perl like I have taken to Ruby, so maybe I'm very biased. But while both languages I think are fairly equal. The one are where Ruby stands out for me is readability. I've looked at Perl code trying to figure out what the person who wrote it was doing. Then gone back to them (sometimes it had been a while since they had looked at the code) and asked what they were doing, and I can't tell you how many times they spent a good 10-15 minutes trying to figure out what it was they were doing. Part of that is readability, part is the lack of OOP, but it does make a point of where Ruby shines over Perl. However, I myself have quickly written Ruby spaghetti code, so it's not just a language thing by itself.

I've worked with Perl as my main language for the last 10 years and am
currently learning Ruby. Although I love the design of the language I
find the lack of code structures - @, $, %, {, ->, \ - difficult to
adjust to. It will probably become my main language eventually but at
present Ruby code, like Javascript, looks like sentences full of
barewords. That has me thinking - is "bareword" a Perlism?

One area where Ruby and Rails really shine in comparison with Perl is
outreach. There are so many amazing, well-designed Ruby and Rails sites
catering for all levels of ability, making the language very attractive
to newcomers. That matters to me, particularly if I'm considering
teaching it to new students. The diversity of publications is also
amazing, Pragmatic having excelled in particular. I raised this issue
recently on the London Perl Mongers list and was flamed in classic
comp.lang.perl fashion.

gvim