On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM, mark edwards <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> extraordinarily insightful comments, robert!  thank you very much.
>
> i especially like your note about a "niche language which amazes you".
> although i am seeing ruby less of a niche language and more of a glue
> language.  is there anything perl can do that ruby cannot do?  i am
> suspecting probably not.

Since both are Turing complete there is no difference in what both can do. ;-)

> side-note - one has to wonder why would more people be supposedly
> searching for COBOL.

I am not sure that conclusion is warranted. Granted, search frequency
will affect order of search results for some search engines but I
don't think it does affect overall figures of hits reported.

>  but i suppose if vinyl recorded music could make a
> comeback maybe COBOL can too.  good thing i saved my cobol manuals.

:-)  Maybe vinyl records come back as storage medium - after the EMP anyway...

> +"<language> programming"  -- arrow symbols in the search string:  you
> learn something new every day around here !

That <language> is just a placeholder. The query would be
+"ruby programming"
+"perl programming"
etc.

Kind regards