On Aug 27, 2013, at 15:23, Charles Hixson <charleshixsn / earthlink.net> =
wrote:
> I'm using rdoc on code that I was in the process of writing.  I got =
the result with ruby1.9.1 and have just installed ruby 2.0.0p247 =
(2013-06-27 revision 41674) [x86_64-linux]
>=20
> Actually, with yesterday's install (Rdoc 4.0.0, the problems seem to =
have changed, becoming extremely much less critical.
> ...dala1:~/projects/Ruby/cells$ rdoc --html -a -o rdoc --debug =
cellsdb.rb
> yields:
> invalid options: --html
> but seems to generate the correct output.  (I'm *sure* that was a =
valid option the last time I checked...but it's not listed now.)

You were probably using RDoc 2.x or 3.x.  One of those had a zero =
division error and supported the --html option.  RDoc ignores invalid =
options by default, but does warn about them.

> Now the problem is essentially simple.  I can't stand reading text on =
a black background, and darkfish uses that.  And a search on Google =
hasn't shown me any examples of alternatives.  Fivefish, e.g.,  is =
mentioned, but I haven't seen any examples. Allison looks good, but =
seems to have disappeared.  Jamis looks good, but the install =
instructions don't work.  (Can't find jamis.rb)  Another by Dave Thomas =
is unmaintained and only known to work with rdoc 2.3.0.

You can provide an override stylesheet, here's one with some poor color =
choices using the --template-stylesheets option:

$ rdoc --template-stylesheets my.css test.rb

$ cat my.css
pre {
  color: black;
  background: white;
}

.ruby-constant   { color: black; font-weight: bold }
.ruby-keyword    { color: black      }
.ruby-ivar       { color: olive      }
.ruby-operator   { color: navy       }
.ruby-identifier { color: navy       }
.ruby-node       { color: black      }
.ruby-comment    { color: red        }
.ruby-regexp     { color: purple     }
.ruby-value      { color: green      }

Here's a test file to use with it:

$ cat test.rb
##
# This is a test of white on black styling
#
#   # this is a syntax test
#
#   def my_method
#     @var + 1
#   end
#
#   CONSTANT =3D /regexp/ =3D~ "some #{string}"

class C
end

You can set your stylesheet overrides for all HTML generation with the =
RDOCOPT environment variable, see `rdoc --help`

> So now (i.e., as of yesterday night's install) the problem is not =
precisely with RDoc, but with the available templates.  I find darkfish =
unreadable (well, where it's text against a black background, but that's =
enough).
>=20
> *ARE* there any working alternatives?  Preferably something that looks =
sort of like jamis ( http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2005/4/8/rdoc-template =
) or Allison =
(http://www.rubyinside.com/allison-new-template-for-rdoc-produced-document=
ation-307.html)

It seems that Jamis' template has disappeared from the internet and =
Allison is deprecated.

I'll never be able to pick a color scheme and layout that everyone is =
happy with, but I am open to updating or replacing the current scheme.  =
For the next release of RDoc I'm working on a modified layout that will =
have a shorter sidebar for class pages.

Here's a work-in-progress example page that needs changes to the style =
before it is releasable:

http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/rubygems-update/Gem/Package.html