> OTOH if the range is potentially large you are burning a lot of
> memory which might cause an issue.

Well right now I have kept it at generating 80 numbers but the final
goal is to generate a range that is in the millions. I hadn't considered
the speed effects of storing the values in RAM as opposed to writing
them straight to disk, but logically that makes a lot more sense as it
eliminates half the work. This is the first program of any substance
that I have created and this consideration was a very large oversight.
Thank you for explaining this.

> I think I'd still rather use Fixnum for iterating the range and use a
> proper String formatting (printf) on output to preserve the appropriate
> number of leading zeros.

I am reading the documentation on these now. It looks like I have got
some rewritting to do :)