Subject: Re: Looking for Rubyists interested in P2P and privacy
	Date: sab 10 ago 13 06:41:52 +0000

Quoting Eric Wong (normalperson / yhbt.net):

> The real paranoids among us are too scared to run GUIs anymore, much
> less new-fangled HTML5/JS/CSS :)

I have seen the smiley, but I would be careful about the words,
anyway. The word, 'paranoid', defines a clinical condition that modern
medicine is only too happy to offer psychotropic 'medicines' to
'cure'.

I have had recent brief stints of peeking behind the covers of both
the Android world and more or less modern HTML-based data channels. I
can comfortably state that both layers are carefully engineered to
make it more and more automatic for huge rivers of consistent data
about our *private* lives to flow towards data hoarders - google is
no. 1, but several private/public concerns (the border becomes fuzzy)
are busy hoarding - and unavoidably they are busy data-mining.

Those who are pointed at as paranoids are just realists.

My recipe is 1) to dissipate fear of course, and 2) to try and have a
picture of what data I give out. Then, 3): I consciously renounce
innovations that would only make me lazier, no matter how trendy, and
4): I try never to forget that I am a son of this planet, and Mother
Nature has the last word about what is really important. Internet is
fragile, it can fold up as happened to the network of Roman roads a
couple of thousand years ago.

Then, I am conscious that the movement towards a one-world government
where the freedom to think independently is to be heavily limited has
too much mass behind: supernational finance wants that, and politics
needs money, so no effective contrast can come from governments. And
individuals get quickly minced if they happen to devise effective
methods to throw sand into the cogs of the mechanism.

What I do: I face my challenges one by one, and I find satisfaction
and serenity in my achievements. It is hopeless and wrong to force
others to renounce their laziness and start caring about their
personal growth. It is hopeless to dream about a free world. This
world is illusion, a mechanism to allow us to face and eventually
overcome our personal challenges, and it is exactly everyone of us
needs...

Really off-topic, eh? But it is Saturday morning...

Carlo