Not sure if you would classify this as beyond normal, but most recently
I used ruby on a web server to interface with the OANDA currency rate
server. Specifically, a cron job runs a PHP script which uses the ruby
script to get conversion rates from OANDA to update a MySQL database
table. OANDA published that they have Perl and Python scripts, but I
chose to use Ruby.

Guy N. Hurst