In article <20020522124809.99756.qmail / web13107.mail.yahoo.com>,
Colin Steele  <colin_steele / yahoo.com> wrote:
>Sadly, and coincidentally, both the server hosting
>rubycookbook.org and my access to a hosting facility
>have more-or-less evaporated.  Sigh.

That's bad news.  I really think rubycookbook was/is an important site for
the Ruby community.

>I hope to resurrect the site, but for the time being
>its prospects don't look great.  Hosting is rather
>dear down here in central Virginia, and I need to
>locate and purchase a suitable machine to run the site
>on.

I'll have to check, but a while back someone offered to host a machine for
me locally (I'm in Oregon).  I wasn't sure at the time what I would want
to put on that machine, but I could _possibly_ run rubycookbook on it.

The machine that I've designated for this purpose I picked up at a surplus
store for $25 - it's a Pentium Pro 180 with 32MB RAM and 1.2GB HD
that I intend to put either Linux or FreeBSD on (would
that be suitable?  I think it could work since rubycookbook traffic
probably isn't that heavy).

There are a few "issues":
1) I'm starting a contracting gig this week and I suspect (as with most
contracting gigs) that their schedule is overly agressive which means
I'll be putting a lot of hours in for the next 2-3 months - so the time
I'll have to put into this project would be rather limited.
2) I need to check with the fellow who offered a static IP and an
electrical socket to see if his offer still stands.
3) Would the fact that we're in Oregon and you're in Virginia be a
problem?  We could make it so you could ssh into the box - would that
work?

How big is the rubycookbook site? What is needed to run rubycookbook? (I'm
assuming it runs on Ruby)  I'm thinking that OS, tools, apache etc. will
take up around half of the 1.2GB, can rubycookbook fit in about 600MB?
(we could probably add another drive if we need to).

Another alternative: Would it be possible to roll rubycookbook into the
rubygarden? (Dave?)  That site already exists so it would probably take
less time to go that route if rubygarden is willing and able.

Phil