When you say you can't run the tests without JavaScript / Flash... I can
see how JavaScript might be essential, but are you certain that Flash is
essential? Perhaps you could specifically disable Flash in IE for these
tests.

IE handles Flash differently from other browsers, and I find it to be
the least stable browser as well. Have you considered using more capable
browsers for your testing, such as Firefox? Watir-Webdriver will support
most common browsers whereas Watir only supports IE.

I can't do much testing without being able to replicate this error. Can
you provide a URL which consistently causes this error to appear?