Thanks for the input everyone.  Matthew, thanks for taking the time to
write this.  This is actually something I think I needed to read.  It
helps me actually think about how to possibly solve these issues.

Also, Marcus, I will try to keep my code clean.  Also, I will try not to
peak at your solution until I go back to the book and try again at it.
Just curious, is that solution a selection sort solution or insertion
sort?  Also, the one described in the book, is that selection or
insertion (the one he writes out in plain words)?

I guess my issue with the book is it took a massive jump after Ch. 8.
Ch. 9 I had to look in the back of the book and type out was written.
Reading the code afterwords, I can understand what is going on.  It may
just be the Roman numerals, but it took a massive jump in Ch. 9 and this
one.

Is there any book that might not take such a massive jump that might be
good to read as well?  I really want to learn how to do ruby.  It just
seems either things are too "basic" or they take "to big of jumps".
This book was great until Ch. 9.  It provided good learning material and
realistic but good problems.  Do you have any ideas or this?