Am 29.07.2013 00:00, schrieb JD JD:
> The version I'm reading is 2.0, the online version appears to be a
> different version.
>
> Anyways, I think I may take a quick detour from the book and try another
> source and go back to it potentially.
>
> The point is that I'm not the only one having issues with this.  I
> looked at reviews and it appears others are having this issue as well.
> The book was good until Ch.8/9.  Once there, the book moves way to fast
> with few examples of what its asking you to do.
>
> There isn't really a great example of that sort it is asking you to do.
> They put it into "words", but don't really give any simplified examples
> of anything like it in hard code before asking you to do it.

But that's the whole point of programming, isn't it?
Taking a problem and splitting/translating it into small pieces
that a computer can understand.

Maybe you should take an unsorted deck of cards and try sorting it
using the selection sort algorithm (search for the smallest card,
put it on the "sorted" stack, move all other cards to the "unsorted"
stack, and so forth) and write it down in plain English. On paper,
step by step, so that an arbitrary, not too bright person could
follow your instructions and get a sorted deck of cards.

Once you have done that, programming the same thing with an array
of e.g. numbers should be easy.

Granted, it's a big step, but figuring it out by yourself is so much
more valuable for your skills as a programmer than just copying the
code from a book or web page. In the future, you probably won't ever
need to write your own sort method or even develop your own
sort algorithm, but you will have to solve problems all the time.

Regards,
Marcus

--
GitHub: https://github.com/stomar/