The version I'm reading is 2.0, the online version appears to be a
different version.

Anyways, I think I may take a quick detour from the book and try another
source and go back to it potentially.

The point is that I'm not the only one having issues with this.  I
looked at reviews and it appears others are having this issue as well.
The book was good until Ch.8/9.  Once there, the book moves way to fast
with few examples of what its asking you to do.

There isn't really a great example of that sort it is asking you to do.
They put it into "words", but don't really give any simplified examples
of anything like it in hard code before asking you to do it.