On Jul 26, 2013, at 7:01 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber / gmx.de> wrote:
> Simple example: ruby on Windows and sqlite. How to install? After some
> googling you can easily find:
>=20
> gem install --platform=3Druby sqlite3
>=20
> which will then try to compile native code - so you need the devkit.
>=20
> Looking it up you'll fail with "sqlite3.h" not found etc etc.
> Yes, I can create directories and but sqlite source there - but why ?
> Many people may want to use ruby on windows - so does it make sense to
> think about whether this workflow of installing gems can be optimized?
>=20
> Idea:
> - why not package the devkit as gem, so that packages like sqlite can
>  depend on it?
> - why not package sqlite.dlll and sqlite3.h as gem, so that sqlite3 =
can
>  easily use it when compiling?
>=20
> Then everything would magically work: gem install sqlite3
> - fetch devkit
> - fetch sqlite3 (binaries and header file)
> - compile sqlite3=20
>=20
> =3D> be done. No worrying about where to put files etc.
>=20
> Who else would benefit from such a change? For my simple use case I
> don't care - but the community might benefit from making it easier to
> install whatever you want on Windows ?
>=20
> Is there anybody who would join such an effort?
>=20
> Marc Weber
>=20

What about engaging people on =
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/How-to-Contribute ? =
Anything to make life easier for windows folks would be helpful, I am =
sure. So many people come here, to irc, and other places wanting to work =
on Windows with all sorts of problems. I can't answer them; I don't know =
windows, and I have no need to. But golly, it hurts seeing them =
struggle.