On 2002.05.22, Mark Slagell <ms / iastate.edu> wrote:

> 2. Hoom, hrum.... The machine I'm developing on doesn't have a printer
> on its parallel port, so I was testing on network printers and finding
> that the TCP/IP quasi-port name defined under w2k, with a colon appended
> so it's like "IP_www.xxx.yyy.zzz:", produces an error, as does
> "\\hostname\printername". But the machines that would use this code
> would probably all be attached to parallel printers. So, worth a try maybe.

You can tell Windows that a network printer is to "capture" a
particular LPT port on the client machine.  So, you can configure
a network printer to "sit" on LPT3: -- the printer driver redirects
I/O destined to LPT3: to the network printer.

This is the "print from DOS applications" support trick.

-- Dossy