Hi,

> It depends.  Where do you get the data from?  Is it a fixed set of
> values?
>  etc.

ok, give me a try to explain. Lets take a look in the Hash

{"I OFF"=>["a8", "1e"], "E OFF"=>["98", "a0"], "E ON"=>["db"],
"I ON"=>["99"]}

The values "a8", "1e", "98" etc. are random generated values. There are
not fixed but they have an interval. Depending on the value if the LSB =
1 it is an ON and LSB = 0 it is a OFF. So normally we can say without
looking to the syntax

  def value_?even(value)
    return :E_ON if value & 0x01
    return :E_OFF
  end

But for a ruby newbie it is very difficult and confusing to understand
symbols in ruby. I have read so much articles and looked for example to
get it. But I think I need more time to understand symbols.

Now what do you suggest me, is it possible to implement this like I
explained?