On Jul 10, 2013, at 5:36 AM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloydmsma / gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never had this problem before, and have no idea why I have it =
now.
>=20
> Environment: I'm running Kubuntu Linux 13.04
>=20
> Problem: I couple of days ago a previously-working installation of rvm =
simply disappeared. There have been a number of updates to my OS in the =
past week, and maybe that's related to this. I have NO idea. It simple =
is unknown to my OS. All attempts to re-install it have failed so far.
>=20
> Terminal output: http://pastie.org/8127844=20
>=20
> Synopsis of terminal output:
>=20
> 1. lines 1-3: rvm is clearly not installed. (But my =
/home/{account}/.rvm directory is where I'd expect it to be. =
Furthermove, deleting this before an re-install attempt has had no =
effect on the outcome.)
>=20
> 2. lines 5-40: rvm is installed using the command Wayne S. suggests at =
the rvm website. The output line "RVM sourcing line not found for Zsh, =
run the installer with '--auto-dotfiles' to fix it." puzzles me. I've no =
idea what "Zsh" is, nor is it clear what "installer" he's referring to. =
I guess he's referring to the command that supposedly install rvm. On an =
early attempt to install it, I did try this:
>=20
> \curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash --auto-dotfiles
>=20
> but it appears to have no effect. rvm still appeared to be NOT =
installed and EOJ.
>=20
> 3. lines 41-43: rvm is still not installed.
>=20
> 4. lines 45-50: I try the apt-get install (with no expectation it will =
work).  No go.
>=20
> Any suggestions as to how to fix this will be much appreciated. I am =
running an identical OS on an HP netbook, and have rvm successfully =
installed and running just fine, there.=20
>=20
> Tom
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Tom Cloyd, MS MA
> Cedar City / St. George, Utah, U.S.A: (435) 272-3332
> <<=20
> tc / tomcloyd.com
>  >> (email) << TomCloyd.com >> (website)
> << Sleightmind.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>=20

After you install rvm via the curl/bash combo, you have to get it into =
your environment. You have to source $HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm in your =
current terminal, and make sure a line like that is added to your =
shell's init script (.bash_profile or .profile for bash, something else =
for .zsh which I don't use so I don't bother to remember). The script =
indicated there is a source line in your .bashrc,  but you didn't bother =
to execute it. So:

$ source $HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm

 -or-

Log out of your terminal program (or maybe you need to log out of your =
system) and log back in.

After you've done either of those things, run:

$ rvm current
$ rvm use=20
$ rvm info

and see what you get.