On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Shubhada S. <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Basically we want to make our application to be supported with REST
> APIs.
> We will receive the REST requests to Tomcat application server. And from
> there we need to forward it to our application in ruby.
>
> So I want to understand  that what the exact things I will need to have
> to complete this setup for REST communication. Few things I have listed
> down.
>
> 1. The application
> 2. Tomcat apache server
> 3. Webrick (I am not sure about it... but I guess this would be required
> to serve the REST requests.)
> 4. phusion passenger OR JRuby OR Sinatra (This is also I am not sure
> about. But, for communication between Tomcat and our framework in ruby.)
>

> Can anybody help me out to figure it out? Is more explanation is
> required to understand the problem?

If you use Sinatra or Webrick there really seems to be no point in having
Tomcat in between.  That just gives you one more step with latency.  If
your application is running on JRuby the situation is different: you may be
able to have JRuby and Tomcat run in the same JVM and communicate via
function / method calls.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/