Yohanes Santoso wrote:
> Erik Terpstra <erik / solidcode.net> writes:
>
>>Is there some method that tells me how much memory a certain object
>>consumes?
>>
>>For example the size of: ['Hello world!', 345, [2, 9.43553]]
>
> String: 4 long + 1 pointer + the length of your string in bytes * 1 char
> Fixnum: 2 long + 1 int
> Array:  4 long + 1 pointer + the length of your array * 1 pointer
>
> This is all my guess from scanning ruby.h. Perhaps wrong, but should
> be around the ballpark.

Hmmm thanks, but I'm affraid that doesn't really help me when I want to
know the memory consumption of a DOM tree for example.

In lower level languages you usually know if your program is efficient
with available memory because you allocate it yourself.

I find it very hard to make memory-efficient programs in Ruby when they
become larger and more complex.

Any thoughts?

   Erik.