On Tue, 21 May 2002, Dossy wrote:

> The ZMODEM library is in C, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Omen Tech is very well known to us old-timers as they were the
> first widely available implementation of ZMODEM throughout the
> late 80s and early 90s (if anyone remembers DSZ.COM -- that was
> Omen Tech).  They were pretty much _the_ reference implementation
> for ZMODEM -- the code for the XMODEM, YMODEM and ZMODEM protocols
> were in the Public Domain, everyone got to use it (cross platform,
> too!) and it actually worked with little to no problems.
>
> $145 to support ol' Forsberg and the other Omen Tech guys is
> peanuts in a world where absolute crap third party libraries
> cost upwards of $1000.

I was somewhat familiar with dsz, although I wasn't aware that the
source code was in the public domain (that was before "open source"
was a household name).  While I agree that $145 is not all that much,
supporting ol' Forsberg et al is not part of my job description,
whereas solving our business problem in the cheapest an most
cost effective way possible is.  Right now, it sounds like chasing
down the original DSZ sources is the best way to go.  Thanks.

Dennis