Hi Todd!

!#/usr/bin/env ruby

it needs the token (i.e. program executable name) in front of the env
token. This makes your script portable.

You will want to make it exectutable which is done with the command chmod
like so:

% chmod +x /path/to/your-program

from there to exectute it you can do it one of three ways.

1. simply use dot slash in front of the program like: ./prog
2. type the whole path like: /home/todd/prog
3. set up a bin directory and set up your the PATH variable in your shells
rc file.

The last one is your homework =) With that you can just run your script
from anywhere and even incorporate it into other scripts and so on.

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of UNIX and Ruby
Programming =)
Oh and one last word of advice. AUTOMATE EVERYTHING!

~Stu (15 years hacking shells networks and BSDs and GNUs )