Am 25.06.2013 07:52, schrieb Arslan Farooq:
> Dave Aronson wrote in post #1113422:
> [...]
>> The space makes the parser think that the next
>> thing isn't a parameter *list*, but a *single* parameter, as a
>> paranthesized expression.  (Possibly to be followed by a comma and
>> more parameters.)  So it tries to parse it as that, and when it runs
>> into the comma, it doesn't know what to do, because a comma-separated
>> set of expressions is not a valid expression itself in Ruby.
>
> Thank you Dave! This makes sense now to me.
>
> [...]
>> for a simpler example.  Check out the rest of the slides while you're
>> there; they're from my Ruby Gotchas presentation.  :-)
>
> I did... and I'm not sure what to think of these gotchas. I don't know
> whether these are things "need fixing" or whether these are just they
> way Ruby is.
>
> Walton Hoops wrote in post #1113433:
> [...]
>> Just to hopefully clear this one up a bit, The Poignant Guide is
>> starting to show it's age a bit.  In Ruby 1.8.* require used to search
>> the current directory for files to include when using require, which is
>> the behavior the book was relying on.
> [...]
>> In 1.9.x  require was changed to no longer search the
>> current directory, and require_relative (which is what you want to use
>> here) was introduced to require a file relative the the current one.
>
> Thank you Walton! This helps.
>
>> With Why gone, I don't think anyone is maintaining the Guide, which is
>> too bad.  It's one of my favorite programming books.
>
> I have been wondering since yesterday which book(s) I should pick for my
> journey... a book written by an expert, for beginners, but not written
> like a manual.
>
> The Well-Grounded Rubyist by David Blank looks interesting (from
> reviews). And the Learn to Program by Chris Pine also looks good.
> Although I'm not sure which one should I start with.

"Learn to Program" is a really nice book, but more addressed to
complete programming newbies. When you have some experience you
can browse through it rather quickly.

I do not know "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".

When you already have a basic knowledge and understanding then you
might have a look at "Eloquent Ruby" by Russ Olsen. IMO a great book
for getting a feeling for the language.

Regards,
Marcus

--