> I cleaned out all the current openssl files, then took the ruby 1.8.5
> source, went into the ruby-1.8.5/ext/openssl directory and created the
> openssl make file:
>
> ruby extconf.rb
> make
> make install

When building from source I do as much as possible as an ordinary user -
you only need to be root to do the install, so I use sudo to do that
part as root:

ruby extconf.rb
make
sudo make install

While installing rails 4.0.0 on top of ruby 2.0.0 I had the problem
discussed in this thread.  The above fix worked but then I got a similar
error because zlib was missing.  As well as the openssl package, there's
a zlib package in the ext directory which you build in the same way:

cd ../zlib
ruby extconf.rb
make
sudo make install