Dave Aronson wrote in post #1113422:
[...]
> The space makes the parser think that the next
> thing isn't a parameter *list*, but a *single* parameter, as a
> paranthesized expression.  (Possibly to be followed by a comma and
> more parameters.)  So it tries to parse it as that, and when it runs
> into the comma, it doesn't know what to do, because a comma-separated
> set of expressions is not a valid expression itself in Ruby.

Thank you Dave! This makes sense now to me.

[...]
> for a simpler example.  Check out the rest of the slides while you're
> there; they're from my Ruby Gotchas presentation.  :-)

I did... and I'm not sure what to think of these gotchas. I don't know
whether these are things "need fixing" or whether these are just they
way Ruby is.

Walton Hoops wrote in post #1113433:
[...]
> Just to hopefully clear this one up a bit, The Poignant Guide is
> starting to show it's age a bit.  In Ruby 1.8.* require used to search
> the current directory for files to include when using require, which is
> the behavior the book was relying on.
[...]
> In 1.9.x  require was changed to no longer search the
> current directory, and require_relative (which is what you want to use
> here) was introduced to require a file relative the the current one.

Thank you Walton! This helps.

> With Why gone, I don't think anyone is maintaining the Guide, which is
> too bad.  It's one of my favorite programming books.

I have been wondering since yesterday which book(s) I should pick for my
journey... a book written by an expert, for beginners, but not written
like a manual.

The Well-Grounded Rubyist by David Blank looks interesting (from
reviews). And the Learn to Program by Chris Pine also looks good.
Although I'm not sure which one should I start with.