On 6/24/2013 12:02 AM, Arslan Farooq wrote:
> 2: Full file path is needed in the "require" line
Just to hopefully clear this one up a bit, The Poignant Guide is
starting to show it's age a bit.  In Ruby 1.8.* require used to search
the current directory for files to include when using require, which is
the behavior the book was relying on. Unfortunately, that had some
problems; when ran from a different directory, scripts would crash or
perform differently because the file to require was not
found/different.  In 1.9.x  require was changed to no longer search the
current directory, and require_relative (which is what you want to use
here) was introduced to require a file relative the the current one.

With Why gone, I don't think anyone is maintaining the Guide, which is
too bad.  It's one of my favorite programming books.

Walton