We're using ruby for our scripting purposes.  Right now, the biggest use is in creating snapshots of Oracle databases, including taking down the database (and concurrent managers, if needed) and backing them up, and doing all based on a configuration file which specifies days to back up, whether the Concurrent Managers are involved, whether to back up or not, and whether to bring back up or not.

Another is a program which reports up and down status of many Oracle processes, including databases, concurrent managers, listeners, web services, forms servers...

I use ruby for any scripting purpose now - I prefer it over Perl any time - though I enjoy programming in Perl too.

There is also the log scanners - one which creates web pages from the system logs, and one which scans for PPP entries and analyzes people's use of PPP for a usage and billing statement - if such were to be useful at some time (it isn't yet).

David Douthitt
CUNA & Affiliates
UNIX Systems Administrator
ddouthitt / cuna.com
(608) 231-4922

>>> Dave / thomases.com 7/15/00 10:08p >>>

A quick survey: what are all you folks (yes, including all you lurkers
out there) using Ruby for? As well as the normal scripting stuff, are
there people using Ruby in interesting ways?

Thanks

Dave