I am going to have to connect to a comet server using Ruby. What I need is
something that can be used directly from a Ruby program that has absolutely
nothing to do with Rails.

rayeux is no longer supported and the last commit was 2 years ago
faye (the replacement given on the rayeux page) is a 404 on github

All the links that Google kicks up seem to be completely obsessed with
using Javascript in Rails applications or want me to set up a node.js
environment for some reason. I just need to talk to a server without excess
baggage.

Can someone point me to something simple that will let a Ruby script talk
to a cometd server?