On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Mary-Anne Wolf <lists / ruby-forum.com>wrote:

> I am new to Ruby but not to Software Engineering.
>
> I am trying to make some existing code work
> on the Raring Ringtail version of Ubuntu.
>
> The original code was written with Ruby 1.8
> so I have removed Ruby 1.9.1 and installed 1.8.7
> which solved some initial problems.
>
> require 'rspec'
> causes the error.
> in `require': no such file to load -- rspec (LoadError)
> I have tried
> sudo apt-get install ruby-rspec-core
> and it makes no difference to the output.

Looking at what ubuntu actually packages in the ruby-rspec-core package (
http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/all/ruby-rspec-core/filelist) that
package doesn't include what you'd need to "require 'rspec'".

However, the ruby-rspec package (which depends on ruby-rspec-core and
others) does (http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/all/ruby-rspec/filelist --
specifically note: /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/rspec.rb).

Now, if it's the case that you already have the ruby-rspec package
installed and it still doesn't work, then you could help us help you by
giving us the output of: ruby -e 'puts $:'