Thanks everyone for your posts. I have received myriads of suggestions
which I totally appreciate. Some people have suggested also using WebSocket
with Javascript. I found, however, that Ruby provides support for
WebSocket. I will look into that.

One important thing I would like everyone to keep in mind, I want the
client (my users) to only have to type a URL and walk away, while their
browsers continue to be updated by the server. I am not sure if this is
doable with WebSocket, but I will read into it.
I really thought and still think that what I want to do is a very simple
thing. The problem is my lack of knowledge and experience with this type of
web application.

Thank you

Ruby Student